Coach Gethin Rhys James

Wednesday 2 December 2015

Rage Against the Machines: Are Resistance Machines Really that Bad?

Today I used resistance machines for the first time in months. They're like a treat for me. When I take a brief pause from my Tae Kwon-do competition training I go back to a basic split routine of chest and biceps, back and triceps and legs and shoulders. I train abs on each of these sessions. 

I implement resistance machines into these splits. They allow me to lift heavier and load my nervousness system with resistance that it's not use too. They allow me to take a brake from the same equipment which psychologically is a brilliant thing. A stale routine is one you are not going to progress in. There's nothing wrong with isolating specific areas. In fact in many circumstances I encourage it. People go overboard when it comes to compound exercises. Yes they burn more calories, yes they are more specific in bio-mechanical nature and yes they work much more muscle. But they are not always the best for correcting an imbalance. For example many people may find the hamstring curl machine handy for gaining a better quad to hamstring strength ratio. Machines can provide technical re-enforcement that free weights don't do. So don't slam machines. 

Now there are bad machines and there are good machines. I've split the bad ones up into category's. This will give you an idea of the no no's in your local gym. 

Shoulder wreckers

This group is dedicated to the ugly seats that opt for forcing shoulders to do what they are not designed to do. The main suspect is the dam awful Peck Deck. This monstrosity involves the inwards rotation that has been linked to impingement and finishes with an over stretch that weakens the joint ligaments. The Lat. Pull Down is also a provider to anyone wishing to struggle to put their t-shirt on in the morning. The inward rotation and addiction of this body building favourite is a nuisance for morphing the way your carry your shoulders. 

Hip squeezers 

My hatred, my anger, my enemy! The abductor and adductor machines. I would love to take a sledge hammer to them. They tighten the hips through limited range of motion. This will result in back problems. If you're using the abductor machine to pound your glutes then you are daft! How can you expect your glutes to fire up whilst seated? Just go in the corner and squat! 

Knee stretchers

Like I mentioned earlier the leg curl is useful for correcting an imbalance in specific groups of clients but make sure you use the correct machine. If you're gyms leg curl machine involves sitting upright the. Avoid it. This machine is tricky to adjust, makes direct contact to the joint and can cause tendon damage. The proper leg curl machine is pictured.

Back busters

Anything and everything that involves a sit up or crunch motion is bad news. The constant isotonic contractions of your stomach degenerates the cartridge in your spine and will result in a slipped disk. This is due to your lower back muscles being placed in an inactive position so that it can't provide even tension on the lumbar spine. Also machines which twist your spine to work the obliques are also a bad idea. If your back twists past 5 degrees then the cartridge will torque and become injured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment