Coach Gethin Rhys James

Thursday 20 August 2015

Training your Abdominals


I'm a big fan of trunk development. This is well known by every client that comes my way. Strengthening that mid section will promote good posture, efficient power output and obviously the well desired six pack!

I don't allow my clients to perform a crunch or a sit up. In fact I tell them off if I catch them performing a single repetition. This is because flexing the lumbar spine in that manor has been associated with degeneration of the cartilage.

As a rule, I base my abdominal routines on these principles. First of all, start with an exercise that hits the lower abs. They don't go through their full range of motion very often so they need special attention. Then work on rotation. This is a movement pattern which hits the waist as well as the front of the abdominals. I then like to finish with isometrics. A static muscle contraction acts as a good post exhaustion method.

So how about that set volume and repetition range? I like a high set volume. I believe from my many literature reviews that anywhere under four sets will never have the same effect as forcing out another gruelling series of repetitions. As for repetition range, the mid section is mainly built of slow twitch muscle fibres. If you're fairly new to an exercise, perform twelve repetitions. If you're confident in the exercise that you intend to practice, give us twenty!

Remember to keep the trunk under continuous tension with a slow tempo, set a routine together which takes up two sessions per week and you'll feel a difference within a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment