Coach Gethin Rhys James

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Neck Strength and Preventing Concussions

First of all, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy setting up 2 running coaching bases and working on my new website. I'd like to start back up with a post on strengthening the muscles surrounding the cervical vertebra. I'm no chiropractor or have any involvement in the medical profession for that matter. What I do know is that strengthening the neck is becoming much more common due to its impact on limiting concussions in contact sports. 

Here are some ideas I've been playing with. First of all I am very aware that excessive spinal flexion has been associated with a denaturing of spinal discs. Any injury to the neck may drastically lower the body's capability in performing simple tasks, let alone sports skills. 

This raises the question, should any dynamic movement be used at all? After all, it's difficult to move the neck without extension. 

Yesterday a good friend of mine was teaching me how to head stand. It is important to hold the neck long and strong to prevent movement. This isometric tension could be the key to preventing concussions. 

This is just a thought and I will be posting about the further research I do on the area.  

No comments:

Post a Comment